Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Throw Ups And Then Some

A few days after Christmas our little Olivia got the flu! The girls had never had the flu before and Matt and I hadn't either in years, so we were a little terrified of how to handle this!! Luckily we were at the Carpenter's so we could throw in laundry all the time and we were so grateful for it! After many calls to and from our amazing pediatricians, and seven days of the barfs, Matt getting sick two days after Olivia, me right as Matt started to feel better, we were finally done with the throw ups! I am still amazed that Maddie never got sick -it must be all of the city germ exposure she's had over the years! That and I made her sleep with me on the floor of the living room while Matt and Olivia were sick.
There were a few times we propped Olivia on the couch and wrapped a blanket around her neck like a huge bib, that way when anything came up the blanket would catch it. I think that Matt and I grew so much as parents through this, it was really alot of work and alot of stress to see our little girl feel so terrible for so long. Every time we thought she was feeling better and kept some fluids down for a few hours, up they would come. We were all so exausted by the end of the week, we needed another vacation.
When we knew she was finally feeling better we took a walk down to the park for some much needed fresh air. It was really sad to see the little bit of weight she lost during the week. Thankfully she bounced back to her old round self in no time!

Maddie and Ashley swinging!
Cute picture of Matt playing on the bridge with Olivia.
For Christmas Grandma and Grandpa gave the girls a set of dress up shoes and fancy jewelry, and they LOVED it! The girls love to have fancy shoes and accessories so this was the perfect gift!
Here is Maddie going down to show Grandpa and Daddy her loveliness!
Ashley likes to play these little pac man type games on the computer and Maddie loves to sit with her and watch her play. I think this is such a cute picture of the girls!


7 comments:

Clark, Inc. said...

Nothing says "The Holidays are here!" like projectile vomit. Why does it have to be that at Christmas time the biggest present that gets unwrapped is the barfy conjunctivitibarficus?! That's what Emily's family calls "The Christmas Spirit" – as in "Oh no, Grant has the Christmas Spirit..." – because someone seems to get it every Christmas. Then it gets passed around to everyone like a nasty white elephant gift. Peachy :(

britt said...

ahhh...that is not fun. I'm sorry. So, I think Mike and I are going to go to San Diego for the 4th of july and stay with Kent and Ginger. Are you guys going this year? That would be so fun to finally get to meet you guys in person!

Shanana said...

Maddie looks tres chic in those diapers and diamonds!

Pukefests are always my least favorite part of the holidays. It always seems that once I nurse the kids back to health (and they have all sorts of pent up energy once they are on the mend), then it's my turn... so the kids are exploding with energy and I'm exploding with conjunctivitibarficus (I'm going to have to incorporate that into my vocab... I like it!)

lisset said...

sick kids are just the worst. we've been pretty lucky that e hasn't caught many bugs, but when he does- man is he out for the count! sounds like you guys had quite the system. i'll keep it in mind come this holiday season..

diane said...

I just saw your cousin Jennifer's daughter yesterday. I can't believe how much she looks like Maddie! They could be sisters! So cute!!

Fannie said...

The pictures of Olivia with the flu break my heart, I could cry

Whitney said...

i just read that jess is pregnant! how exciting! do they know what they are having yet? by the way, where have you been latley?! more blogging please. oh yeah, i realized as i was typing that that you guys are in the middle of the graduation and big move! congratulations to matt and i would love to get an update on the new digs! hope all is well with your beautiful family. talk soon best friend!